Zillow | New York
About the Role
StreetEasy is seeking a Data Scientist to join our growing research team. If you are curious and creative, have experience building unique and exciting data projects, and love learning more about cities through data, we want to hear from you.
You will use your skills in statistics, machine learning, software engineering, and geospatial analysis to produce exciting research and data products that help New Yorkers make the most of living in the world’s greatest city. Our research team combines our unique and extensive proprietary data with an expanding variety of carefully curated open data sets to learn more about issues that affect the lives of every day New Yorkers. Our data scientists play highly visible roles in leading data science research efforts to create StreetEasy product features and produce original research content. Our research is regularly featured in publications such as the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and Bloomberg, and all of our work is built on an extensive package of tools that leverages cutting edge open source technologies.
About the team:
StreetEasy’s research team combines our data from New York’s leading real estate marketplace with open data to produce research content, create new product features, and work with journalists and policymakers to engage, educate, and inform New Yorkers. Our work touches on economic theory, geospatial analysis, statistical modeling, data journalism, policy analysis, machine learning, natural language processing, and many fields in between. We literally sit between StreetEasy’s engineering, product, strategy, and communications teams, and collaborate with engineers, data scientists, economists, and product managers across the Zillow Group to develop new data tools and analyses.
Who you are:
- You have at least 2 years of professional experience handling and deriving insights from complex data sets, preferably in a consumer-oriented business.
- You have a Master’s degree in a quantitative field (e.g. engineering, computer science, statistics, or mathematics).
- You have solid data engineering skills as demonstrated by significant experience in SQL and preferably Python, including work with Pandas, NumPy, and SciPy. Deep experience in Scala and R will also be considered.
- You have a thorough understanding of statistical and machine learning techniques, including supervised and unsupervised learning methods, natural language processing, and strategies for feature generation and dimensionality reduction.
- You have foundational skills in software engineering, including familiarity with command line tools, version control, and unit testing frameworks.
- You have strong written and verbal communication skills, and work well on teams of all sizes with representatives from a diverse set of technical backgrounds.
- Bonus points if you have:
- Research experience and/or familiarity with urban analytics, particularly as it applies to land use, economics, and housing.
- Experience building and working with RESTful APIs and familiarity with packages such as Flask and AsyncIO.
- Familiarity with data pipeline and engineering tools such as Luigi, Airflow, and Docker.
- Deep knowledge of open data sources and/or publicly available APIs.
- Experience with D3, Leaflet, and other open source visualization packages.
- Experience with open source geospatial analytics packages such as QGIS, POSTGIS, GeoPandas, and PySAL.
What you’ll do:
- Find opportunities to use StreetEasy data and publicly available data sets to answer important questions about housing and the New York City economy.
- Develop machine learning algorithms and statistical models to support StreetEasy’s product features and research content.
- Compile and compute metrics to help track the performance of the New York City real estate market.
- Create data visualizations that excite, engage, and inform StreetEasy users and partners.
- Represent StreetEasy in the New York City data science community by authoring blog content, presenting research, and championing the intelligent use of open data.
Get to know us
StreetEasy is New York City’s leading local real estate marketplace providing accurate and comprehensive for-sale and for-rent listings from hundreds of real estate brokerages throughout New York City and the major NYC metropolitan area. StreetEasy is part of Zillow Group, whose mission is to build the largest, most trusted and vibrant home-related marketplace in the world.
Zillow Group is owned, fueled and grown by innovators who help people make better, smarter decisions around all things home. We encourage one another at every level, and our efforts are supported by employee-driven, world-class benefits that enable us to enjoy our lives outside the office while building fulfilling careers that impact millions of individuals every day.
If there are preparations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.