Web Engineer - Web Team
@zendesk | San Francisco
Welcome to Web. This team is responsible for the face and functionality of Zendesk.com. We’re a family of weirdly wonderful full stack web developers that work closely with designers, marketers, product engineers, and analysts. We focus on new customers and function as a little think tank that researches, develops, and improves new customer flows. We’re looking for a talented dev to work across the primary brand site (zendesk.com), and the 20+ international sites serving markets across the globe.
This position requires a “maker” mindset. You should be comfortable building pages to spec quickly and cleanly but you should also be able to run a web project from start to finish. You should have the eyes of a designer, the voice of a director, and the analytical mind of an engineer.
Attributes we’re looking for:
The humble team player: You may be an amazingly brilliant coding "rockstar" from the Kingdom of I-don't-care-about-anybody-but-me, but guess what? You're just a smelly human. Once you start to believe that you know everything, you'll stop allowing yourself to learn from others. Don't be that person. We can't stand that person.
The prankster: Besides delivering great work, we rarely take anything seriously.. especially ourselves. This enables us to remain stress free despite any tight deadlines that we may face.
Mz. or Mr. Honesty: We're pretty direct with one another. We keep each other humble (see humility definition above) and joke around a bunch (see humor definition above) but we also ensure that we keep the conversation honest and open so that when something looks off or is headed in the wrong direction you won't hesitate to speak up.
The unshakable optimist: Failing is part of growing and experimenting. Push the boundaries and you may fall flat on your face. But if you can't see the rainbows through the failure foliage, you'll struggle much more than you need to.
The communicator: "Ur code sux." That phrase is not helpful, 'nuff said.
What you get to do every day:
- Strategize around lead generation and innovation on zendesk.com
- Collaborate with marketers, designers, and engineers in a fast paced environment (if you’ve worked in an agency, you’ll know what we mean)
- Participate in architecture and technical discussions with a tight-knit group of engineers
- Help align projects from concept through development, QA, staging, and production deployment
- Proactively seek out and find solutions for minimizing pain points within the infrastructure and code base
- Create beautifully simple solutions to complex technical problems
What you bring to the role:
- A college degree or a good reason for not having one
- Self-driven, detail oriented, diplomatic – you can keep all things moving while delivering great work
- Git / Github experience, comfortable handling complex merges with frequent regularity
- Decent knowledge of website analytics and optimization tools, including A/B testing and Google Analytics
- Exposure to and experience with one of the following server-side languages: Node.js, or PHP
- Experience automation tools for testing and deployment with hands-on exposure to Selenium, PhantomJS, or Grunt
- Knowledge of content targeting, conversion rate optimization, funnel optimization, and B2B / B2C lead generation is desired
- Expert knowledge of performance optimization and how it impacts user behavior and conversion
- Adept at turning wireframes and mockups into HTML / CSS with a working knowledge of Photoshop and Illustrator
- Expert knowledge of CSS preprocessors / SASS
- Passion for design, user experience, marketing, and information architecture
- Design experience or other involvement in the visual arts and some portfolio pieces to share
Zendesk builds software for better customer relationships. It empowers organizations to improve customer engagement and better understand their customers. Zendesk products are easy to use and implement. They give organizations the flexibility to move quickly, focus on innovation, and scale with their growth. Based in San Francisco, Zendesk has operations in the United States, Europe, Asia, Australia, and South America. Learn more at www.zendesk.com.
Individuals seeking employment at Zendesk are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation.