Software Manager, Client Applications
Skillz | San Francisco
Today, people spend more time playing video games than they do playing all physical sports, and eSports are poised to become bigger than the NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL combined. Skillz provides the technology that powers an eSports industry forecast to exceed $5 billion in annual revenue by 2020.
As the eSports provider for over 3,000 game studios, Skillz enables any mobile game to be turned into a competitive eSport that can also be broadcast on major streaming sites like Twitch and YouTube. We do this by integrating our unique layer of code directly into the mobile app, which activates our end-to-end tournament administration and other important features like player matching, anti-cheating mechanisms, customer support and a built-in loyalty program. Skillz accounts for more than 30% of eSports prizes, and we’ve already hosted more than 100 million tournaments for 10 million players in over 180 countries.
We’ve raised over $28 million in funding from well-known venture capital firms as well as major sports team owners from the NFL, NBA and MLB. In our quest to make gaming better for players and developers, we’re looking for savvy, passionate and hardworking teammates to help us build the future of sports. If you’re excited about defining a multibillion dollar industry, building an awesome product, or working with bleeding edge technology, Skillz just might be for you!
We are true believers in electronic sports, so don’t be surprised if you see us playing mobile games at our desks or in the kitchen. At Skillz, this type of behavior is encouraged! You can also catch us at our weekly game nights playing anything from Starcraft to Cranium over dinner, while discussing new technologies or brainstorming ideas to improve our business.
Not a “gamer”? Don’t worry about it. Every Skillzian brings a unique perspective to the team, and we bond over plenty of activities that don’t involve games. We’re working to build a truly groundbreaking company, and we want top-notch people to join us in that mission. As the creators and leaders of a new marketplace, we work with a “do whatever it takes” mentality, and frankly, we get the job done!
Our team is comprised of passionate, intelligent and creative individuals who consistently seek out new challenges and knowledge. We embrace out-of-the-box strategies to propel our business forward, and foster a culture where every person’s voice is heard. Our team comes from diverse backgrounds, and our leaders have a strong history of funding, building and selling successful enterprises. If you're up for the challenge, we’d love to meet you.
Who we’re looking for:
You're excited to lead a team of developers to build out an amazing product for the video game industry. You take pride in doing things the “right” way and you’re willing to build and mentor a talented development team. You’re excited to play a key role in product development and you’re eager to work closely with both the product team and a beta-user community to perfect our product. You love the idea of working at a startup because it means your fingerprints will be on everything we build.
What you'll do:
- Work with the management team to lead engineering planning to achieve business goals by identifying and prioritizing development initiatives, timetables, implementation and deployment of product
- Work with the Product team to set goals which you'll lead to delivery dates.
- Recruit, hire and motivate world class engineers.
- Manage and evolve the development process and release schedule.
- Build metrics reporting/analytics to quickly gauge user response and understand user behavior.
- Lead our team of developers from 10+ and grow our client-side engineering team to 50+.
- Have successfully grown a division from 5 to 25+
- Awareness of the technical landscape and able to architect web and mobile systems
- 5+ years of hands-on experience, ideally with web-scale tech, especially MySQL, AWS
- Experience building RESTful web services, mobile apps and consumer facing software
- Experience in Agile development methodology such as Scrum and agile development tools such as Pivotal Tracker, Rallydev or Jira
- Degree in CS or a related field
- Start up experience strongly preferred