Software Engineering Internship Shutterfly
Redwood CityAPPLY FOR JOB
Shutterfly Job Description
Seeking a motivated and passionate Intern with solid computer science fundamentals to make a significant contribution to the Shutterfly Platform Services team. This position will report to the Director of Platform Engineering in Redwood City, CA.
The Shutterfly Platform Services group (aka Shared Services) is responsible for creating the next generation of platform services infrastructure for use by the both the company, and external partners. The platform infrastructure consists of frameworks for creating and regulating services, as well as the technology to monitor their health, report on their performance, test and deploy them, and generalized automation of tasks. We use the latest in industry standard Java technology at the core, and the latest trends in containerized deployments (i.e. docker/kubernetes, AWS). Come and join the effort in creating the next generation services platform for the company!
- Collaborate with product managers, engineers, operations, and other members of the project team in requirements specification, feasibility analysis, detailed engineering analysis and launch planning
- Design and development of platform infrastructure components, particularly around monitoring, reporting functionality, automation and developer portals
- Contribute to best practices by helping author unit tests, functional tests and performance test automation.
- Work with middleware, enterprise buses and queues to help make services highly scalable and asynchronous in nature
- Participate in design reviews of infrastructure and framework components
- Ensure services are highly scalable to handle large traffic with very low latency
Key Skills and Experience
APPLY FOR JOB
- Strong systems knowledge, installing, configuring software on Linux environments
- Comfortable with HTML5, CSS3 and general web application development
- Expertise in relational databases (one of Oracle/MySQL/Postgres) and SQL.
- Knowledge of web services and general services design, experience a plus
- Basic knowledge of the HTTP protocol
- Experience with all or some of the following technology is a plus – Git, Perforce, MongoDB, Redis, Memecached, Java Spring framework, Eclipse, IntelliJ or other IDE
- Solid understanding of how the web and internet works
- Must be comfortable and experienced at the Unix/Linux command line
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- BS/MS in Computer Science or Engineering highly desirable
- Must have a positive, Can Do! Attitude and willing to have fun while working