Software Engineer - Push Marketing
Groupon | Seattle
Groupon is looking for a Senior Software Development Engineer. The successful candidate will have strong experience developing world-class, service-oriented architecture software in an internet company. As part of the computational marketing team, this role will work on various areas such as, scalable distributed systems, real time data analysis, and various statistical models.
We’re looking for a senior level player who can take on multiple roles to get projects done. This role is for candidates with entrepreneurial minds. Successful candidates will thrive working cross-functionally, and have strong architectural design skills, communication, problem solving and excellent technical coding skills.
This is a full-time position based in Seattle.
- Drive technical design & architecture for products & services owned
- Designing, implementing, testing, maintaining, and owning high-performance web services
- Brainstorm and solve problems of various external or internal products
- Research various open source technologies to solve existing and future problems
- Set up experiments; measure and mine data to optimize models to achieve certain goals
- Rapidly iterate to add new functionality, solve complex problems, and ship quality applications
- Translate business, marketing and functional into detailed technical requirements and architecture and technical design and work plans.
- Work closely with business, UX and UI, product management, data sciences, and other teams to conceive, create, and design unique customer experiences on mobile and desktop.
- Responsible for the overall service architecture, scalability, availability and reliability of Groupon’s systems.
- Exercise ability to translate complexity into simple and intuitive solutions for the customer
- Apply experience to incrementally develop software development process and infrastructure that enable us to measure and improve the performance output of systems, products, features and services.
B.S. or higher in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- 10+ years of industry experience.
- Experience and in-depth knowledge with building web-scale, heavily loaded distributed systems that run 24/7.
- In-depth knowledge with both relational and NoSQL data management systems (Hadoop MapReduce, HBase, Hive, etc.)
- Backend expertise with big data systems and RDBMS (MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLite, etc.)
- Experience with Big Data processing frameworks such as Kafka, Storm, Spark, etc.
- Experience with ecommerce and digital marketing a plus
- Experience in machine learning techniques a plus
- Experience working with Agile methodologies is a plus.
- Understanding of A/B testing a plus
Groupon provides a global marketplace where people can buy just about anything, anywhere, anytime. We’re enabling real-time commerce across an expanding range of categories including local businesses, travel destinations, consumer products, and live or lively events. At the same time, we are providing advertising options and tools that merchants can use to grow and manage their businesses. Culturally, we believe that great people make great companies and that starting with the customer and working backward moves us forward. Community matters to us on an internal, local and global scale—it’s fundamental to our company’s growth and to the well-being of the world at large. We also value self-awareness, candor, lunch and WiFi. If we match with you, please apply to join us.