Software Engineer Intern Thistle
Thistle | San Francisco
Thistle Job Description
Thistle is an early-stage startup with a mission to simplify healthy eating and make an impact on how people approach their nutrition. Our chefs create a rotating menu of seasonal, locally-sourced plant based meals & cold-pressed juice, which get delivered directly to our customers as a subscription.
We're looking for engineering interns to join us as we expand throughout California and beyond. Our systems power everything from customer orders, account management, and food feedback to inventory, production, and delivery operations to help us grow and scale. Our interns are full members of the engineering team: we'll give you autonomy, mentorship, and responsibility; in return, you'll have a direct and lasting impact on our customers, the company, its culture, and our successes.
What you'll do here:
- Work with fellow Thistle engineers to design and build new features for our website and mobile app
- Write well-crafted, well-tested, readable, maintainable code
- Run A/B experiments and dive into the resulting data to look for trends
- Participate in code reviews to ensure code quality and distribute knowledge
What will make you successful:
- Intended BA/BS in Computer Science or related degree, or equivalent practical experience (including bootcamps)
- Passion for food, health, nutrition, and keeping things local
- Great oral and written communication skills: you can effectively communicate technical concepts to a non-technical audience
- Empathetic, customer-centric, and collaborative mindset
Note: we encourage you to apply even if you don't meet all these criteria. Everyone here started with some experience and gained the rest over time.
- Experience with React/React Native
- Experience with iOS/Android app development
- Contributions to open-source projects
- Involvement with meetup groups, conferences, or other community events for programming enthusiasts
- Desire to learn, share your knowledge, and always be improving
Our interview process: email, phone screen, then visit HQ to try our food and discuss/pair program with our codebase. No brainteasers.
Diversity and inclusion are essential values at Thistle. We know we'll do our best and most impactful work when we feel we're represented and we belong. We're proud to actively recruit and hire talented people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences.
Your internship will be paid, plus you'll receive free breakfast/lunch/dinner/snacks/juice (all made by Thistle, of course), and a discretionary equipment budget. Unfortunately, since you won't be a full-time employee you won't be eligible for our insurance coverage. We also don't offer relocation assistance and can't sponsor a visa.
We believe in work-life balance. Your time is valuable, and we want you to feel like you can put in your eight hours and still have time to take care of yourself. We have a flexible, take-it-when-you-need-it remote work policy for when things come up. We also have an unlimited vacation policy, and will encourage you to use it.
Sounds exciting, right? If you're at home in a fast-paced startup environment and ready to push your limits while making the world a healthier place, then come join Thistle! We can't wait to meet you.
Thistle is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.