Software Engineer Alation
Alation | Redwood City
Alation Job Description
Alation was founded in 2012 when a PhD engineer from Google, a designer from Apple, and an executive from Oracle teamed up to help people to connect with the data they need. Today, our team consists of creators and communicators with varied backgrounds. From Stanford and Cal, big companies and one-man startups, the United States and abroad, we all came together to work toward a shared vision of a world where informed decision-making is the norm -- we are incredibly driven to make data more accessible in every industry.
We’re based in sunny Redwood City, CA and funded by top investors like Andreessen Horowitz, Data Collective, and Costanoa Venture Capital. Our customers include some of the world’s largest organizations, with thousands of employees and petabytes of data.
What we are
- Our team is a group of intelligent, hard-working, and fun people with diverse backgrounds
- Our product consists of a solution for people to find, understand, use, and govern data
- Our system runs smart algorithms to organize data from diverse sources and deeply analyzes their semantics and usage
What we are NOT
- A database or cloud computing company
- A business intelligence company
- A consulting company
Some of the things you will be doing include...
- help build the technical and cultural foundations of our Engineering team
- be constantly challenged by tough engineering and design tasks
- have the freedom to choose what projects to work on and own them
- (if you are senior) bring best engineering practices and tools, and mentor junior engineers
- (if you are junior) be hungry to learn and take on responsibilities
- have lots of fun with your colleagues, in and out of the office
- have a huge impact on our product and users and be recognized for that
You should have… (in no particular order)
- a degree in Computer Science or related subjects
- a strong knowledge of algorithms, data structures, and data modeling / management
- experience building data-driven web apps from scratch
- a desire to participate in a fast-paced and intense startup environment
- curiosity about different areas of software engineering and a willingness to leave your comfort zone
Sample projects (NOT representative of all our engineering areas)
- Create a framework / dashboard for error handling in our web services
- Establish a system to analyze search sessions to improve search quality
- Create a framework for building interactive dashboard UIs
- Add a view caching layer with a method for intelligent invalidation
If you resonate with our mission, want to work on challenging problems, to have fun, and to create a product with a broad and positive impact, come join us.