Software Development Engineer
Groupon | Seattle
Goods is Groupon’s retail business where we seek to offer unique products at great value to our customers. We’re the fastest growing business within Groupon and make-up 40% of total Groupon and became a billion dollar business in less than 3 years (seriously!). Logistics is core to retail - crucial to the overall experience delivered to customers and our long-term growth strategy. Moreover, based on customer feedback, logistics drives/influences 4 of the top 5 customer needs - trust, shipping speed, value and returns.
Developing software at Groupon is challenging, fun and rewarding. And no place embodies this more than Goods Logistics Technology Team. We’re still a start-up (yet stable) culture which rewards innovation and rapid time to market. In less than 18 months the Goods Logistics Technology team of ~20 engineers built ground-up an e2e supply chain management system that manages a $1.5B+ business. We deliver too fast for bureaucracy to take root.
Goods Logistics Technology Team is looking for a Senior/Principle Software Engineer to lead the next chapter in creatively/pragmatically utilizing technology to drive our new Local Supply growth arena. You will work closely with Product, Business and Operations teams. You will be responsible for scoping, architectural design, interfacing with other technology teams and iteratively rolling out features. All the systems we build / manage are mission critical. This means quality, reliability are paramount and large scale launches have to launch/run seamlessly.
- Design and build services and APIs that are highly scalable, and make a direct impact on bottom line and revenue.
- Build unit tests along with code; test and debug; fix bugs; deploy; repeat
- Build for performance; you’re the kind of person who can take an API that responds in 2 seconds and get it down to 20MS.
- Work with other developers across Groupon to ensure we’re using best practices and standard solutions
- Help build our technical execution plans and ensure we hit all milestones
- Work in agile development environment
- Participate in code reviews and help teammates write better code
- Build global, internationalized solutions
- Be able to deal with ambiguity and have the desire and passion to work to clear up such ambiguity and launch
- 8+ years in software development
- Proven ability to find creative solutions, juggle multiple concurrent projects, release rapidly and ship elegant, customer-centric applications
- Extensive experience designing and implementing scalable distributed systems
- Experience building internal and external APIs and RESTful web services
- Experience working with relational databases and SQL
- Highly proficient in Java, C#, Python or Ruby
- Familier with *Nix development environment
- Obsessive about quality, good design and elegant code
- Has worked across all levels of the technology stack
- Inclination to take smart, informed risks and lean into problems and their solutions
- Contagious passion for solving problems for our customers is a must.
- ML Experience a plus
- Passion for software quality throughout entire lifecycle
- BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent experience
Groupon provides a global marketplace where people can buy just about anything, anywhere, anytime. We’re enabling real-time commerce across an expanding range of categories including local businesses, travel destinations, consumer products, and live or lively events. At the same time, we are providing advertising options and tools that merchants can use to grow and manage their businesses. Culturally, we believe that great people make great companies and that starting with the customer and working backward moves us forward. Community matters to us on an internal, local and global scale—it’s fundamental to our company’s growth and to the well-being of the world at large. We also value self-awareness, candor, lunch and WiFi. If we match with you, please apply to join us.