Senior Frontend Developer
Comfy | Oakland
We are a venture-backed startup in Downtown Oakland that has developed an industry-first application allowing occupants to control the temperature in their office! Our mission is to create great relationships between people and their workplaces. We uniquely empower people to control their workplaces to suit their personal needs and preferences, while reducing energy use in the process. Comfy allows office occupants to increase their comfort and improve their productivity via a web and phone app that controls their physical environment. We apply machine learning and data insights to create a dynamic feedback loop between people and the places that support them, helping companies create satisfying, productive work experiences that adapt to people’s changing needs. We’re simultaneously solving the biggest complaint people have about their workplace AND saving loads of energy.
We use some of the latest frameworks and are constantly crafting new features for our customers. We believe that a beautiful, smooth experience for customers using web and mobile is crucial to our company goals. We operate as a distributed team with contributors working from California, Washington, Minnesota, and North Carolina. We are currently hiring locally in Oakland, or remote folks in the Pacific, Mountain, or Central time zones in the US, with a preference for Minneapolis MN.
About the Role
As a Senior Frontend Developer at Comfy you help bridge design and engineering daily. Your eye for design brings mockups to life and will delight our users with transitions and polish. Your understanding of technical tradeoffs, curiosity in discovering edge cases, and craftsmanship efficiently creates reliable code. You will help us investigate the new technologies that will allow our team to quickly iterate and build the best possible experience.
You are a frontend developer who loves crafting beautiful applications that work smoothly on all browsers and on mobile. You've worked with IE and mobile Safari and they don't scare you. You have the instincts to avoid troublemakers and performance hogs like tag-based selectors and frequent DOM lookups. Your code is maintainable, well-structured, and just works. You enjoy exploring new technologies, being on the leading edge, and collaborating with a team of talented engineers. You communicate effectively and help the entire team increase productivity by mentoring team members and sharing your expertise.
- 4+ years of industry experience developing large-scale web applications
- In depth knowledge of HTML/CSS/JS across browsers (yes, IE and mobile, too!)
- Experience with responsive design: AngularJS, Webpack, ES6
- Proven ability to work collaboratively on an interdisciplinary team of designers, developers, and QA
- Ability to write comprehensible, well-structured, highly performant code
- Applied knowledge of computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, OO design
Bonus if You Have
- Knowledge of frontend testing frameworks like Karma and Protractor
- Experience with Cordova, Android, or iOS development
- Experience working on a Agile/Scrum team
- A willingness to pitch in when needed and work on our Python backend in Django
- Market-leading software application centered on improving the workplace experience, Comfy : )
- Bright, airy office in sunny downtown Oakland just steps away from BART
- Take-what-you-need vacation policy
- Competitive salaries and stock options
- Full medical, dental and vision insurance
- Monthly wellness subsidy
- Frequent happy hours and lots and lots of snacks
We believe your work is an extension of yourself. At Comfy, we hire many sorts of selves and that’s what makes us exceptional. We value diversity of thought, always asking tough questions, committing to solutions—and we do that best when we have and nurture every point of view. We value you, and we want to hear you, learn from you, and move forward together.