← Back to all remote jobs
Remote Jobs Staff Accountant (Medium)
Remote Job Description
At Medium, we’re building the best place for reading and writing on the internet — where thinkers, experts, and storytellers can share big, interesting ideas that are judged for the value they provide to readers, not attention they attract for advertisers.
We’re looking for a Staff Accountant to support and own a few different things for us! This includes taking the lead for our US royalties tax product, liaison for tax filings with external CPAs as well as providing customer service to our users with regards to all things tax. We believe that these functions play a vital role in Accounting.
Medium is growing quickly this year, and your contributions as Staff Accountant will be essential to our success. If you like challenges, you will be a phenomenal addition to Medium! We're excited to see who joins us next. Will it be you?
What will you do?
- You will be responsible for gleaning all knowledge of the US-based royalty tax function and taking the lead on maintaining it. This is fairly niche, so a great opportunity for growth and learning, but not something you need direct experience in.
- You will review tax forms for accuracy and compliance. This is a very important function is keeping Medium compliant!
- You will triage all customer service tickets related to the royalty tax function as honorary member of User Happiness team.
- You will prepare monthly reporting regarding tax payments for our Partner Program as well as build reports as needed for analysis and to evaluate trends.
- You will maintain and build process documents to keep processes up to date with growth.
- You will assist our Accounting Manager and Controller in gathering and preparing all supporting documents for external CPAs for all tax filings.
- You will coordinate tax payments with the AP team and complete the proper GL entries for month end close.
- You will build and maintain the tax calendar for on time filings and extensions.
- You will complete ad hoc projects as needed.
- We're growing quickly, and we'd like you to start here but be ready, flexible and agile to take on more.
Who will do well in this role?
- Flexibility, agility and evolving with process change is vital. We are a startup and we move quickly. The ideal Staff Accountant will adopt existing process and adapt to new as we grow.
- You have a BA or BS in Accounting preferred plus at least five+ years of experience in accounting. Emphasis on tax is preferred.
- You are customer service oriented while also maintaining a strong attention to detail and high-quality standards.
- There is always room for efficiencies, so we welcome a creative mind when it comes to operational improvements using excel, so you'll need to be proficient with excel!
- This is a demanding environment with constant change so having a can-do attitude with a willingness to dig deep and get things done will be necessary
For this role, you can be based anywhere in the U.S.
At Medium, we foster an inclusive, supportive, fun and challenging team environment. We value having a team that is made up of a diverse set of backgrounds and respect the healthy expression of diverse opinions. We embrace experimentation and the examination of all kinds of ideas through reasoning and testing. Come join us as we continue to change the world of digital media.
Medium is an equal opportunity employer.
Apply for this job