Product Manager - Location Intelligence
Yelp | San Francisco
Yelp’s products are used by millions of people every day. At Yelp you’ll have an opportunity to make a real impact on a product you actually use. The teams you’ll work with are small, scrappy, nimble, and fun. The culture at Yelp is a unique environment combining the best parts of being at a startup with the stability and resources of a successful public company. You’ll have full ownership of the product you’re working on and will be able to make fast decisions in a highly collaborative, no-BS, no-bureaucracy environment.
Do you love maps? Do you think about what features you’d use to algorithmically define your ideal neighborhood? Do you know how many meters are in a .0001 of a degree of longitude? As a Product Manager on Location, you'll work with an incredible team of engineers and an incredible depth of user generated content and data to shape Yelp’s understanding of location. Our mission is to connect users with great local businesses and understanding location is what puts the “local” in local businesses. You’ll work with engineers, data scientists and other PMs to ensure that Yelp’s user and business facing products are powered by the best understanding of user location, business locations, and the local landscape that we can provide.
What You Will Do:
- Develop and manage the roadmap for the Location Intelligence team at Yelp.
- Work with our all-star engineering team to hone and iterate on your ideas.
- Identify, analyze and prioritize new features.
- Manage the design/build/test/release process end-to-end.
- Strive for product perfection but love to release and iterate.
We Are Looking For:
- Techie Cred: CS or similar degree so you can talk to our engineers about Python and Machine Learning without a translator.
- Passion about the Space: You love the world of social networking, local search and consumer products.
- User Empathy: You pay attention to Bitcoin exchange rates and drone delivery services as much as the next nerd, but you also recognize that you're building for a non-techie audience.
- A Conditional Love for Yelp: Like a BFF or a tee ball coach, you should love us but also be able to tell us what we're doing wrong. You'll need to be able to dish out the criticism here and take it, too.
- A Need for Speed: Daily release cycle? Bring it!
- Data Experience: Experience with Machine Learning, NLP, Data science or similar areas.
- Someone whose response to one of the questions above was “at what latitude?” Nice to have: Previous experience with location data, maps, geocoding, GIS.
- Nice to have: Software engineering experience in team setting.
What You Will Learn:
- Finding the right mix of the latest machine learning techniques and the simplest heuristics to satisfy user needs rapidly and accurately.
- How to tease meaning from many location data points, to define neighborhoods of interest, to tell stories with location data that are interesting to users, businesses, and other feature teams at Yelp.
- Manage the technical geocoding platform used by engineering teams at Yelp, as well as work on features with high consumer impact.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.