The KQED product group spearheads the development of digital experiences. We are passionate about creating content-centric products and services that inform, educate, and inspire our audiences. We use and champion human centered design ensuring that every project starts with user needs, strategy and a well-defined problem to solve.
Our next Product Manager brings expertise creating successful end-to-end experiences by considering all facets of a product or service; from content strategy to format (with an emphasis on journalistic audio and video), platform (especially mobile), and audience engagement across the spectrum, including casual consumers to members.
The Product Manager is responsible for product planning, execution, and evaluation throughout the product lifecycle, including: gathering and prioritizing product and user requirements, defining the product vision, and working closely with editorial, engineering, marketing, and revenue (corporate support, foundations, membership) to determine and ensure key performance indicators (KPIs) are met. The Product Manager’s job also includes ensuring that the product fits into the entire product portfolio and supports the organization’s overall strategy and goals.
The Product Manager is expected to:
• Be the voice of the user and apply your empathetic understanding and insights as we reinvent the KQED digital experience.
• Have expertise in some -- and proficiency in all -- of the following areas:
• Define the product strategy and lifecycle in collaboration with stakeholders.
• Deliver product requirements with prioritized features and corresponding justification.
• Manage and communicate the roadmap. Make tactical prioritization decisions while helping the organization think towards the future.
• Work strategically to drive continued positive impact. Set product objectives, track and communicate progress against them and share insights so they create value in your work and across the organization.
• Use a data-informed product development process including market research, audience insights, analytics, and competitive insights to deliver successful experiences.
• Act as a product evangelist within the company.
Other Job Functions:
• 3+ years relevant online work experience leading digital media product development in a Product Management or similar role.
• Demonstrated success defining and launching excellent products.
• Examples and at least one sample of an effective document delivered in the past.
• Fluency analyzing and leveraging digital analytics (i.e., Google Analytics, Data Studio, Optimizely) for tracking and reporting out product goals.
• High degree of comfort with various project management tools such as Jira, Trello, Asana or similar as well as Sketch, Balsamic or other wireframing tools.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills. Proven ability to present/demo complex ideas and products to a large group, author compelling, public-facing product materials, and work directly with clients and executives.
• Experience using agile/scrum methodologies.
• Proven ability to influence cross-functional teams without formal authority.
• Understanding of the creative process in a collaborative environment; ability to incorporate both internal stakeholder and user feedback; team player in a fast-paced work environment, always showing respect for the diverse constituencies KQED serves.
• Strong organizational skills and ability to work under tight deadlines; ability to multitask and self-manage the deadlines of competing projects.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Project Management Professional (PMP) or other project/program management certification.
• Background in news media or journalism preferred.
• Experience with agile software development and lean startup methodology a plus.
• Ability to draft early wireframes to mockup ideas and test.
• Familiarity with radio and/or television station digital operations a plus.
• Bachelor’s degree (MBA preferred).