Airbnb | San Francisco
Airbnb’s mission is to enable anyone to belong anywhere. We want people to feel at home, in a welcoming community, whenever they’re away from their actual home. We strive for a similar approach throughout our offices as well. A majority of our meeting rooms are modeled after actual Airbnb listings from around the world giving each one a unique, individualized, yet homey feel.
We are embarking on a company-wide initiative to transform & re-build our global enterprise network to enable real time unified communications, collaboration and cloud services. The IT Network Collaboration & Services (NCS) team are responsible for the architecture, design, vendor selection, implementation & operation of the global enterprise network solution consisting of enterprise wide design standards, global backbone, co-location facilities, internet peering, regional branch office WAN services, voice, video & collaboration services!!
The role of the Network Engineer is to establish design solutions, standards, documentation & tools to improve the Airbnb network infrastructure so it can be run as a reliable quality user service. Expectations of the role are to enhance the infrastructure reliability, quality, user experience across the Airbnb, Corporate network, office wireless service, and contact center voice.
The successful candidate will have a strong technical background experienced in designing & deploying network firewall, LAN, WAN, Internet & VPN solutions across global office & backbone infrastructure. They must be experienced in driving technology enhancements & direction to drive service improvements to scale a global enterprise network over time as an organization rapidly grows.
- Develop standards-based network designs for company’s office and backbone infrastructure
- Delivery of robust and comprehensive design documentation, incorporating best practices which address disaster recovery, incorporate test / compliance cycles and ensure as-build deployments meet design specs
- Familiarity with design and deployment of Palo Alto Panorama & firewall appliance solutions and designing & maintaining firewall policy plus troubleshooting network firewall related incidents
- Experience building, testing and deploying comprehensive Palo Alto network policy that categorizes all traffic, providing complete network segmentation and security in datacenter and office environments
- Experience with network security, authentication and identity for wired and wireless 802.1X clients; Preferred background with Cisco ISE (Identity Services Engine)
- Evaluate new products, features and technologies which improve service availability and reduce costs, while providing comprehensive analysis and detailed implementation recommendations
- Drive an embedded and pervasive security model into all aspects of voice infrastructure, site / backbone interconnectivity and to partner managed sites
- Perform as Tier 3 escalation in support of IT operational organization during complex highly impactful outages that can cross multiple functional domains, involving chronic recurring problems, vendor product bugs and other critical network functionality
- Participate in 24x7 on-call rotation
- Vendor Management - maintain relationships with major product manufacturers and service providers, understanding product capability and placement; driving QBR content/direction and influencing service and product capabilities and roadmaps
- Produce quality detailed documentation through the entire project delivery life-cycle and lead by example producing best-in-class design, deployment and operational documentation to cover all aspects of infrastructure systems ... from architecture, topology, support models, maintenance, troubleshooting runbooks, deployment cookbooks, disaster recovery, technotes, testing, etc.
- Sprint planning, daily stand-ups, progress reports, risk/action logs
- Automation - Drive simple and scalable approach to new technology solutions using automation to enable the organization to easily deploy and operate new features, capabilities and functionality
- “Shift Left” - Bring the ITX Operations team along on the journey by training, educating and enabling them to efficiently and effectively support new technologies, products and services as the team develops and deploys new solutions into the production environment
- Coach, mentor, and motivate junior team members and contractors, providing positive career and personal growth
- Capacity Management - Drive development of capacity planning model and tools, including ownership of decisions regarding future SIP provider upgrade planning and contract negotiations
- Working globally - Ability to work effectively as a local/remote team member, owning tasks to completion and socializing across team(s) to gain feedback and educate
- Set, own and continually manage technology project expectations with team members and stakeholders.
- Assist with identifying and screening future team members.
- 10 years combined experience with networking, firewall, standards, certification testing, design life-cycle and documentation
- In-depth experience and understanding of WAN, ISP peering, BGP, OSPF, QoS, IP Addressing, DNS/DHCP, firewalls, wireless and L2 switching
- Must have design and deployment experience with Palo Alto firewall infrastructure, Cisco routing & switch products and beneficial to have Cisco 802.1x wired/wireless plus VPN experience
- Palo Alto Certifications and Cisco certification : CCNP, CCDP, CCIE
- On-call rotation and occasional domestic and international travel will be necessary
- Strong Technical Leadership, teamwork, collaboration and communication skills
- Airbnb Stock
- $2000USD yearly employee travel coupon
- Competitive salaries
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life & disability coverage
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Daily breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Weekly happy hour
- An Incredible fun place to work every day!!