Senior Software Engineer
Napster | Seattle
Would you like to build technology that millions of people use every day? Imagine a company dedicated to bringing music to our customers whenever they want it, wherever they are and on any device. Come work with us and make that happen. Are you hungry? Do you want to grow? Do you want to impact how millions of music fans listen to music every day?
With millions of subscribers and over 30+ million songs worldwide on more than 70 consumer electronic products and both Android and iOS Platforms, Napster is a leader in the Streaming Subscription Music Services industry.
You have a Bachelor degree in Computer Science or related equivalent experience. This isn't your first rodeo; you’ve worked at startups before and come highly recommended by your peers. You have a strong technical background with hands-on ability to dive into the code. Comfortable working the full stack, you have a solid understanding of the challenges involved in building highly available web apps that serve millions of users.
About the Role
This position will focus on the development of Java-based middle-tier and back-end services. Media Content Platform team is responsible for managing, encoding, publishing, searching all media contents in a globally distributed environment. The team consists of a technical architect, developers, test engineers, business & technical analysts, program/project managers. If you are passionate about developing highly scalable apps and dealing with high scale data, this opportunity is for you.
As our new Sr. Software Development Engineer you’ll be responsible for the development of major areas of functionality. You hold yourself to high standards and strive to bring out the best in others as you:
- Architect scalable solutions to challenging problems facing our service oriented architecture
- Build new or modernize existing functionalities to enable our global presence
- Bring new functionality from conception to release
- Code review teammates' work and identify areas for improvement
- Exhibit strong problem analysis skills and experience designing solutions
- Join a team of talented, dedicated and brilliant engineers
- Optimize technical implementations by leveraging your background in performance tuning
- Take ownership of major areas of back-end functionality and support it in production
- Work with test engineers to identify and fix defects
- 4+ years experience with Java, Spring, Tomcat, maven with strong knowledge on SQL and/or NoSQL databases
- 3+ years experience building large scale web service applications
- 3+ years experience with Linux shell scripting - you know your way around the command line
- 2+ years experience developing RESTful APIs that speak JSON or XML
- 1+ years experience performance tuning large scale applications with millions of users
- Strong experience working with git or other versioning tools
Bonus point if you have experience with:
- Cassandra, MongoDB, Redis
- elasticsearch, lucene, solr
- Message Queues such as RabbitMQ or ActiveMQ
- Hands on experience with SQL relational databases
- Data modeling
- familiarity with agile methodologies such as kanban, scrum
- familiarity with music industry domain knowledge
What Sets Napster Apart: We are very proud of the culture that we have built at Napster. Below is a snapshot of some of our benefits and perks, but what you will be most blown away by is the amazing talent you will get to work with here.
- Benefits, including medical, dental, vision, life insurance
- Free Napster Premium Account (with great music discovery advice from your peers)
- Downtown Seattle office with amazing views
- Centrally located near public transportation, ferries, bike parking, as well as subsidized commuting options.
- Highly collaborative, hardworking, open environment where you’ll work alongside extremely creative and dedicated people.
- Generous PTO (and you are encouraged to use it!)
- 8 paid holidays
- In office snacks, soda and coffee
- Sponsored off-site events-Movies and baseball games to name a few
- In-house live music performances
- Lots of Company Sponsored events