Microsoft | Seattle
Azure HDInsight is Microsoft’s managed cloud big data offering that gives customers optimized open-source analytic clusters for Spark, Hive, MapReduce, HBase, Storm, Kafka, and Microsoft R Server backed by a compelling SLA. HDInsight is growing at a terrific rate, your charter will be to help us the platform to a next level in terms multi-tenancy, container based orchestration, scalable platform for open source analytics and develop services on top of that with industry leading SLAs and enterprise grade security.
This role has the opportunity to massively impact the business, and empower our customers to build truly amazing experiences. Our team works across the breadth of the open source big data ecosystem, building compelling, managed experiences on top of open source projects. We are looking for senior Engineers having experience with designing and building efficient, reliable and scalable distributed systems.
The ideal candidate should be well-versed with the entire software development lifecycle and should be able to produce well-tested high-quality code. Apart from possessing strong technical skills, the ideal candidate should show a strong bias for action, be adaptable and exhibit uninhibited entrepreneurial spirit with a can-do attitude. The candidate must also be able to take lead on analyzing complex technical issues, technology choices and communicate them with the team and stakeholders in both written and verbal manner to drive consensus. Preferably, the candidate should have experience shipping a large scale, commercial cloud-based service (or solution).
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Engineering or IT related technical discipline or in place of 3+ years of internship or industry software engineering experience
• 3+ years of programming experience in Java OR C++ OR C# OR C OR object-oriented programming
• Excellent collaboration skills
• Experience with Linux and OSS development
• 1+ years of programming implementation experience in Java OR C++ OR C# OR C OR object-oriented programming
• Experience contributing to OSS technologies
• Experience with the Apache Spark codebase and history of contribution
• Experience with the internals of database technologies like query optimization, execution, storage layer
• Experience building and operating fault-tolerant distributed systems
• Experience creating and shipping V1 products using modern development practices
• Experience using agile methodologies or test-driven development (TDD)
• Great curiosity and willingness to question
• High enthusiasm, integrity, ingenuity, results-orientation, self-motivation, and resourcefulness in a fast-paced competitive environment
• Love the next problem, the next experiment, the next partner
• Have a deep desire to work collaboratively, solve problems with groups, find win/win solutions and celebrate successes
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com