Full Stack Engineer, Payments Product Platform Airbnb Careers
Airbnb | San Francisco 2018-12-03
The Platform Team
Airbnb is the world's largest marketplace for space, and we keep getting bigger every day. With over 100M nights booked per year and counting, we're constantly tackling challenges in search algorithms, payments, fraud prevention, and growth — all while maintaining a beautiful user experience. To support the rapid growth in our business, we've also rapidly grown our engineering team.
Like all teams at Airbnb, we value and promote the diversity of our workforce, our guests, our hosts, our marketplace platform, and the world. Simply put, diversity belongs
What is Payments at Airbnb?
Airbnb is a trusted marketplace and travel community. This level of trust is critical to the success of AIrbnb and has to extend to each payment experience. Payments enables trust and is a core and strategic part of Airbnb fueling growth with easy to use payment services. We are building a world-class payments platform that moves billions of dollars, in 191 countries, with 75 currencies, through a complex ecosystem of payments partners. We build and maintain our own in-house global payments platform because no solution exists with the global reach needed. As the platform grows we’ll be adding new payment partners, global licenses, and building new payment experiences for our guests and hosts.
Meet the people, learn about the challenges, and read more about what we do at Payments here.
As an engineer on the Payments Product Platform, you will have the opportunity to work on products for our hosts, our guests, and our developers.
Our hosts are the center of our community, and yet, many of their business needs remain unaddressed. Airbnb hosts don’t view themselves as hobbyists; they consider themselves as micro-entrepreneurs. Hosts crave for the tools and products that are available for small business owners. They want to understand not only how they’re doing financially today, but also how they might do in the future. They want to be able to understand their income through interactive dashboards, project their earning potential into the future, determine their profitability over time, and ensure that they are complying with all local laws including paying their taxes. To be successful, we want our hosts to focus on hospitality, while knowing that they are running a sustainable and successful business.
We also strive to provide a frictionless payment experience for our guests. This would include integrating with local payments providers, like Credit Card providers, PayPal, Alipay, WeChat, Boleto. It also includes allowing guest to have flexibility in their payments, both in terms of when and how they pay. We enable deposit payments, installment payments, paying with coupons and gift cards.
Finally, we also are in the process of converting our payments systems into an extensible platform, that businesses around the world can leverage. We’re building clearly defined service APIs, well designed web components, extensive documentation frameworks, interactive dashboards and finely tuned alerting systems to encapsulate the complexity of the payments world. We hope to enable any business to allow any two people in the world to exchange money through our platform.
Regardless of which area is of interest to you, you'll have a significant opportunity to work across the stack, be it creating the front-end components or diving deep into our internal Payments services. There are significant technical challenges you'll have the opportunity to solve, and you'll also have the chance to work heavily with Product, Design, Business Development and Data Science to directly influence product direction and what we build. If you're interested in working on a product team with opportunity for infrastructure challenges, our team is a great place for you!
As an engineer on the Payments Product Platform team, you will build infrastructure, tools and products that hosts, guests and developers need to succeed. You will help:
- Build the core infrastructure that allows guest and hosts to exchange money, irrespective of where they are in the world.
- Partner with Product, Design and Data Science to empower hosts with data, tools, and financial products that helps them efficiently manage and scale their business.
- Build products to help our hosts automate core financial operations, so that they can focus their energy on investing in hosting and growing their business.
- Partner with Data Science to help hosts project their earnings so that they can plan better for their future.
- Work on building a suite of Financial Services like lending, tax reporting, gift Cards, deposit payments, and installments.
- Work on building an extensible payments platform, including customizable front-end components that ‘just work’ anywhere, a clean documentation platform, interactive dashboards and customizable alerting systems.
- 2+ years of industry experience
- Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree, preferably in CS, or equivalent experience
- Experience building lightweight web applications
- Independent, dedicated, and able to deliver production ready code with minimal guidance
- Experience writing REST APIs
- Experience with relational databases and schema design
- Preferred, not required:
- Interest in working in different parts of the stack
- Experience with financial, accounting or payments systems
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness discounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Commuter subsidies
- Community involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
- Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Much more...
Offices: Airbnb has Engineering offices along the West Coast in the U.S. and our teams are growing quickly! Contact us to find out which office works best for you.