Front End Software Engineer USC
USC | Marina del Rey
USC Job Description
Information Sciences Institute, a unit of USC’s Viterbi School of Engineering, is a world leader in the research and development of advanced information processing, computing, and communications technologies. USC operates one of the world’s largest academic high-performance computing clusters. ISI has three research campuses: one in Marina Del Rey, CA; one in Arlington, VA; and one in Waltham, MA.
*This position is located in Marina del Rey, CA.*
The Division of Informatics Systems Research at the Information Sciences Institute of the University of Southern California is seeking a front end software engineer with experience in user interface design and development to build complex web applications for scientific data management. ISI’s Division of Informatics Systems Research conducts basic research and development of methods for advancing data-intensive scientific collaboration and discovery. Our research is developing fundamental new approaches to problem solving that will accelerate advances of significant societal importance through combinations of web-based, high-performance and big-data computing systems. Previous accomplishments of the division included the establishment of Grid computing and the de facto standard Globus Toolkit used ubiquitously throughout big data sciences such as the underlying Grid used by researchers working with the Large Hadron Collider at CERN for the discovery of the Higgs boson.
- Collaborate with a team on the design of the user interfaces, develop mockups and wireframes, and revise designs based on feedback from others.
- Integrate web clients with back end services using web protocols based on the REST architecture.
- Debug and patch 3rd party open source libraries and back end server code, when necessary.
- Develop test cases, automated testing process, and test suites for continuous integration and end-to-end testing.
- Work comfortably on a Linux, Apache, Python, PostgreSQL stack.
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, related field, or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of 2 year of software development experience.
- Must have experience developing automated testing scripts using Travis CI, Angular Protractor, Karma, Jasmine, Mocha, QUnit, and SauceLabs.
- Strongly preferred: Working knowledge of relational database concepts, RESTful web services, JSON, and UNIX/Linux working environment.
- Excellent analytical, problem solving, and debugging skills.
- Experience with responsive design and visualization tools (e.g., Plotly, D3, Vispy, VTK) is desired.
- Experience with full stack development may be beneficial but not required.
- Experience in another programming language, such as Python, Java, C, or C++, is beneficial.
About the Information Sciences Institute
The Information Sciences Institute (ISI) in USC’s Viterbi School of Engineering is one of the leading computer science research institutes in the world. Since its founding in 1972, researchers at ISI have made fundamental contributions to the development of the Internet, the Domain Name Service, Grid Computing, Information Integration, Computational Linguistics, Machine Translation and several other areas. Located in an off campus facility on the water in Marina del Rey, ISI today is a vibrant research community of faculty, full-time research staff, and graduate students that is tackling some of the hardest problems in networking, cybersecurity, artificial intelligence, data science, trusted electronics, quantum computing, and several other topics in the field of information science.
The University of Southern California is an Equal Opportunity Employer that Values Diversity.
Minimum Education: Bachelor's degree, Combined work experience and education as equivalent
Minimum Experience: 1 year, Combined education/experience as substitute for minimum experience
Minimum Field of Expertise: Sound knowledge of programming and documentation procedures, programming methods, program flow charts and operator instructions. Knowledge of one or more appropriate computer languages.
REQ20044114 Posted Date: 05/10/2017