Director, Data Science
LendUp | San Francisco
LendUp builds technology, credit products, and educational experiences for the 56% of the U.S. population who are currently shut out of mainstream banking because of poor credit or volatile income. That’s a lot of hardworking, deserving people.
Our mission is to provide anyone with a path to better financial health. Being a socially responsible lender is a big job, but we’re more than up for the challenge. Now in our fifth year, we’re growing each and every day as we continue to bring our mission to life. Join our exciting team and help us turn our mission into a movement.
LendUp is headquartered in downtown San Francisco with an office in Richmond, VA. We’re backed by prominent Silicon Valley investors including Y-Combinator, Google Ventures, Susa Ventures, Data Collective, Kleiner Perkins, Andreessen Horowitz Seed Fund, Kapor Capital, QED, Eagle Cliff Investors, Yuri Milner, Thomvest Ventures, and many others.
About the role:
You’ll lead a team of data scientists and data analysts, driving some of the key initiative that drive LendUp’s mission. We want you to provide leadership to a world-class team of data scientists and analysts and help us find a way to help the tens of millions of Americans banks won’t lend to.
- Lead a team of data scientists and analysts, overseeing development, deployment and application of data science and analytics projects
- Provide thought leadership, guidance, support and mentorship for the team in various areas of machine learning, statistics, data engineering and analytics
- Work closely with business teams to apply machine learning and statistical techniques to various aspects of our business, turning ideas into actionable solutions
- Background in data science, machine learning and statistical methods. Prior experience with using machine learning for lending/underwriting is a plus
- Proficiency in Python, R, SQL, as well as Java or similar
- Prior experience in a managing a team of data scientists
- Analytical thinking, driven to learn fast, be creative, and win as a team
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, able to work collaboratively with other teams and persuade stakeholders and champion effective solutions
LendUp has all the things you’d expect from a mission-driven company, like a competitive salary; early stage equity; 100% company paid medical, dental and vision insurance; generous vacation/sick leave policy; catered, free lunch; kitchens fully stocked with healthy snacks; free onsite gym; 401(k).
But here’s what we really love about LendUpLife:
- Our dog-friendly SF office
- We’re committed to a diverse and inclusive culture that spurs innovation and creates a meaningful and impactful work environment
- We have fun together at our weekly happy hours, quarterly team building events, company-sponsored volunteerism, hackathons, and sports teams
- One of our values is “different backgrounds, same mission.” We are passionate participants in our employee resource groups (LeanIn, LGBTQ & Allies, and Black Ladders...) and have slack channels dedicated to everything from philosophy to sports to hip hop
LendUp is an Equal Opportunity Employer
We extend equal employment opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy status, marital status, military or veteran status, genetic disposition, or any other reason protected by law.