Data Scientist Nuna
Nuna | San Francisco
Nuna Job Description
At Nuna, our mission is to make high-quality healthcare affordable for everyone. We are dedicated to tackling one of our nation’s biggest problems with ingenuity, creativity, and a keen moral compass.
Nuna is committed to simple principles: a rigorous understanding of data, modern technology, and most importantly, compassion and care for our fellow human. We want to know what really works, what doesn't—and why.
Nuna partners with healthcare payers, including government agencies, health plans, and self-insured employers, to turn data into learnings and information into meaning.
Nuna Data Science
Nuna’s Data Science team is focused on the development of smarter, data-driven healthcare policy. We come from fields such as biomedical informatics, health economics, statistics, and epidemiology, with a shared passion for research, experimentation, trial and—of course—error, measurement, learning, and improving. We leverage our expertise to help our partners ask the right questions and measure the right outcomes so that they can bring positive, responsible, meaningful change to the health of their populations.
Data science is an independent team at Nuna and works in collaboration with others to:
- Understand and answer customer questions
- Develop analytical methods and features for Nuna’s products
- Support data-related engineering and operational efforts
- Investigate and pursue strategic opportunities for the company
- Work with stakeholders to understand their most critical data-related challenges.
- Perform directed analyses to help Nuna’s commercial clients create better, data-driven health and benefits policies.
- Work with engineering, and product management to develop methods that enhance the quality and value of data in Nuna’s data platform.
- Support Nuna’s data-driven products with development of methods for measuring provider cost and quality and predicting the impact of proposed healthcare policy modifications.
- Document and present resulting insights to clients with poise and authority.
- Advanced degree (PhD or Masters) in quantitative healthcare field (e.g. statistics, bioinformatics, computer science, economics, etc.)
- 3+ years of working with real-world healthcare claims datasets
- Proficiency in SQL and R or a similar quantitative toolset (e.g. Python, SAS)
- Experience working on and delivering results in fast paced, stakeholder-facing settings
- Clear communication skills and ability to break down problems and generate shared understanding
- Ability to work both in a team and in a self-directed manner
- [Bonus] Prior work experience with or research on a healthcare payer, especially in Medicare, Medicaid, or the ACA Exchange market segments
- [Bonus] Deep knowledge of healthcare policy
Nuna is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetics and/or veteran status.