Data Scientist III Groupon
Groupon | San Francisco 2018-05-24
At Groupon, data drives our decisions. We are looking for a Data Scientist who will join an influential team to guide the Groupon Goods product roadmap by deriving meaningful insights from the wealth of data we have from our customers, logistics networks and suppliers. You will be building machine learning models which empowers pricing intelligence and supply intelligence initiatives. We need an analytics and modeling expert the team can count and you will get to see your work rapidly feed back into the evolution of our products.
The ideal candidate will:
- Synthesize raw data into recommendations on how products should evolve
- Build machine learning algorithms to enable decision making in order to optimize customer experience/reduce cost/maximize profits or customer value
- Work with product management and engineering and operations teams to develop KPIs for new features and instrumentation to quantify the adoption of new product initiatives
- Quantify the value of existing product improvements or the potential value of new product hypotheses.
- Design and support large-scale multivariate tests to prove out new ideas
- Create product scorecards for teams and managers to track product performance, business impact and discover opportunities
- Deep-dive analyses to identify root causes of product or operational issues
- Design both the business logic and the technical specifications to extract key data elements from a data warehouse
- BS or graduate degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Economics or similar quantitative field, with an emphasis on predictive analytics, data mining, statistics, machine learning, algorithms, etc.
- 3-6 years of data science experience working closely with product and engineering
- Ability to translate business objectives and problems into analytical problems, and use quantitative/qualitative skills to deliver simple, logical and actionable solutions.
- Experience with data visualization (such as Tableau) and presentation
- Advanced proficiency in R, Python, and Excel
- Proficiency with SQL, Hadoop, or other Map/Reduce (or other scripting language)
- Proven ability to own data science initiatives end-to-end
- Ability to build predictive modeling such as time series, k-nearest neighbors, random forests, ensemble methods
- Understanding of applied math topics, such as probability and statistics, linear algebra, basic optimization techniques, etc.
- Ability to understand and use software engineering techniques - parsing through data logs, leading instrumentation specifications and implementation, using and rewriting APIs, integrating APIs with data tools, knowledge and integration through machine learning platforms
Groupon provides a global marketplace where people can buy just about anything, anywhere, anytime. We’re enabling real-time commerce across an expanding range of categories including local businesses, travel destinations, consumer products, and live or lively events. At the same time, we are providing advertising options and tools that merchants can use to grow and manage their businesses. Culturally, we believe that great people make great companies and that starting with the customer and working backward moves us forward. Community matters to us on an internal, local and global scale—it’s fundamental to our company’s growth and to the well-being of the world at large. We also value self-awareness, candor, lunch and WiFi. If we match with you, please apply to join us.