Data Scientist II: Revenue Management
HomeAway | Austin
We are looking for excellent Data Scientists to join our growing 20+ strong team. This position focuses on revenue management and dynamic pricing, so it is a good fit for those with backgrounds such as machine learning, operations research, economics and applied mathematics. This role will work closely with our marketplace design team to help boost efficiency and profitability on our massive e-commerce marketplace. The models you develop will affect billions of dollars of transactions every year.
Challenges to work on:
• Lead model building to understand and forecast demand and supply based on rich features sets that vary across space and time.
• Use model to understand the competition a vacation rental (VR) property have.
• Estimate the booking likelihood of VR properties
• Design the optimal strategy for VR owners to achieve goals
• Model demand curves in a high-dimensional space using modern techniques such as deep learning.
• Optimal pricing
• Lead the direction of a the data science team responsible for revenue management, dynamic pricing, occupancy forecasting, booking understanding. This role is responsible for ensuring this portfolio of projects has a company-wide impact
• Apply best-in-class machine learning techniques to solve the business problem at hand
• Produce novel insights with machine learning to inform company strategy
• Assist others with data discovery and data preparation phase
• Help build the core feedback loops and incentive structures in our marketplace.
• Work end-to-end on “studio projects” that you conceive, develop and land as a winner in the company
• Attend conferences and read papers to stay on top of advancements in the field
• 2+ years of experience in Data Science and analytics fields
• Excellence with programming languages such as Python, R or Scala
• Excellence in processing and analyzing large scale data volumes, semi-structured and unstructured data and near real-time throughput
• Excellent ability in applying the right ML model to solve business problems
• Ability and passion to learn new techniques to stay on the cutting edge.
• Experience working in Hadoop ecosystem
• Strong database knowledge and expertise in SQL
• Excellence using visualization tools such as Tableau and Datameer
• Established storytelling and presentation skills i.e be able to present business side of the story that data presents to c-team and business leaders
• Masters or Ph.D in Statistics, Math, Operations Research, Industrial Engineering, Economics, Computer Science or other quantitative field