City of SanFrancisco | San Francisco
We’re growing the digital services team that operates and iteratively improves the DAHLIA affordable housing service (housing.sfgov.org), as well as the Salesforce implementation used to manage larger affordable housing operations. Funded by the Mayor’s Office of Housing and Community Development (MOHCD), the team also works directly with the San Francisco Digital Services Team.
The mission of the Housing Division of the Mayor's Office of Housing and Community Development is to provide financing for the development of affordable housing in San Francisco and guide the City's housing policy. MOHCD ensures the the long-term affordability and physical viability of the City's stock of affordable housing. The Office also provides financial and educational assistance to first-time homebuyers, and finances housing rehabilitation costs for low-income homeowners.
The San Francisco Digital Services Team is transforming how residents interact with the city, implementing our new Digital Services Strategy through building services designed around the people that use them. Led by the Chief Digital Services Officer, the team is comprised of product managers, designers, business analysts, developers, and content strategists. As a member of this new team, you would be part of a new and growing movement, with an opportunity to shape the City’s approach to engineering digital products.
We are seeking an outstanding, experienced senior full-stack engineer to help deliver updates and iteratively improve the affordable housing application service at housing.sfgov.org, as well as build new services to meet the needs of affordable housing seekers. Candidates must have strong skills in frontend and backend web development and be ready to quickly get to work within a multi-disciplinary team.
- Serve as the lead engineer on a team (with internal colleagues as well as designers and developers at vendors) to operate and improve the affordable housing application service, as well as build new user-focused digital services for affordable housing.
- Participate in prototyping, feature prioritization, scrum meetings, code review, and architecture discussions.
- Practice and enthusiastically share Agile methodologies throughout all stages of the project lifecycle.
- Take pride of ownership in all projects you touch; leave code better than you found it. Contribute to documentation, tests, style fixes, accessibility, performance, security, etc.
- Help lead decisions about our development and deployment environments. Help maintain our robust automated test suite to support a Continuous Deployment environment.
- Deliver projects that are easy to deploy, update, and monitor by ensuring the tooling for this is present early in the project development cycle
- Build web products that are mobile first and accessible from the start.
- Responsible for a production system, including occasional support outside of business hours.
- Write great documentation as we go, including training documentation and release notes
1. An associate degree in computer science or a closely related field from an accredited college or university OR its equivalent in terms of total course credits/units [i.e., at least sixty (60) semester or ninety (90) quarter credits/units with a minimum of twenty (20) semester or thirty (30) quarter credits/units in computer science or a closely-related field]; AND
2. Three (3) years of experience analyzing, installing, configuring, enhancing, and/or maintaining the components of an enterprise network.
SUBSTITUTION: Additional experience as described above may be substituted for the required degree on a year-for-year basis (up to a maximum of two (2) years). One (1) year is equivalent to thirty (30) semester units or forty-five (45) quarter units with a minimum of 10 semester / 15 quarter units in computer science or a closely related field.
- 4+ years experience building, shipping, and operating production web products. Experience building client and server-side web applications.
- Experience working in Agile development methodology and iterative development cycles
- Experience with development for mobile browsers, including understanding of the use of responsive web design and responsive front-end development. Knowledge of browser capability and screen readers.
- Working on a team that embraces user-centered design with focus on both user and stakeholder needs.
- Demonstrated experience writing clear, well-tested code. Test-Driven Development experience, ideally using Jasmine and RSpec.
- Deep knowledge of git and git/github flow process.
- Experience writing documentation
- Work well with a cross-functional team. Ability to collaborate with designers to rapidly prototype ideas.
- Experience with Web standards, development for accessibility, browser compatibility, known issues for all major browsers and operating systems.
- Experience building services for underserved populations (front-end accessibility including Section 508 compliance; internationalization)
- DevOps and/or AWS experience
- Experience implementing metrics tracking products like Google Tag Manager, Heap Analytics, and HotJar
- Experience building and scaling high-traffic websites; building highly-reliable systems; and/or building products that integrate with legacy systems.
- Experience and expertise building and maintaining (and/or strong passion for) open source software. Contributions to open-source projects a plus.
- An ability to communicate technical concepts to a non-technical audience.
VERIFICATION:Applicants may be required to submit verification of qualifying education and experience at any point during the recruitment and selection process. If education verification is required, information on how to verify education requirements, including verifying foreign education credits or degree equivalency, can be found athttp://sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=456
NOTE: Falsifying one’s education, training, or work experience or attempted deception on the application may result in disqualification for this and future job opportunities with the City and County of San Francisco.