Software Development Engineer
Amazon | Seattle
Would you like to experience what it would have felt like to join Amazon in 1995? The International Expansion team is responsible for launching Amazon marketplaces in new regions and our team gets to experience the feeling of launching businesses from the ground up and making our products work for the customers in the new region.
The International Expansion team is looking for engineers who can define, design and develop solutions for customers to shop on Amazon effortlessly, directly impacting Amazon's top line growth. With Mobile First development, we launch our features first on Mobile and then on Desktop. The team is responsible for making the shopping funnel seem like child's play for the customers.
As a SDE on the team you will be instrumental in designing and building low latency solutions that work gracefully on a wide spectrum of network bandwidths and provide the best mobile shopping experience for our customers. The solutions you will build will accelerate global innovation and impact all aspects of the buyer's experience on Amazon. You will be responsible for launching features that are International first and then take them global.
You will work with Senior Engineers at Amazon to evolve the design and architecture of the global platforms. You will be responsible to set up and hold a high software quality bar besides providing technical direction to a highly technical team of Software Engineers.
At a strategic level, our development team will be instrumental in shaping the product direction and will be actively involved in defining key product features that impact the business. The solutions entail building features from scratch, Developing for low bandwidth networks, improving the existing service architectures/frameworks to better suit the new set of customers.
· Design, implementation, and deployment of applications that impact the business with an emphasis on Payments, Orders, CX and e-Commerce website development.
· Expert knowledge in performance, scalability, enterprise system architecture, and engineering best practices.
· Functionally decompose complex problems into simple, straight-forward solutions
· Work extensively with cross-functional teams across Amazon’s website, ecommerce and fulfillment platform on the design and development of core platform functionality
· Work with the business team and project managers to convert functional requirements into detailed technical specifications.
· Work with engineers both onsite and offsite to define technical tasks and build detailed implementation plans.
· Participate in and provide design inputs towards the Platform initiative for streamlining international expansions.
The ideal candidate will be a leader, builder and operator. He/she should be able to operate in a very fast paced environment where time to hit market is super critical. The leader needs to balance technical leadership and savvy with strong business judgment to make the right decisions about technology choices.
· A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent combination of technical education and work experience;
· 1+ years of Software Development experience;
· Strong, object-oriented design and coding skills (C/C++ and/or Java on a UNIX or Linux platform)
· Solid software development background including design patterns, data structures, test driven development
· Solid experience with distributed (multi-tiered) systems, algorithms, and relational databases.
· Software development experience in JSP, Spring, AWS, S3, SQS, building web services and highly scalable applications.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Master’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related technical discipline
· Previous experience in designing low latency mobile applications.
· Experience in e-commerce and Deep hands-on technical expertise
· Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
· A deep understanding of software development in a team, and a track record of shipping software on time
· Exceptional customer relationship skills including the ability to discover the true requirements underlying feature requests, recommend alternative technical and business approaches